Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Wednesday DIY from the House of 34 blog


I found this Pottery Barn knock off DIY on my friend Laurie's blog. It just shows you can have some fun with the left over wood you may accumulate from other projects!

Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art

Posted on
I love Pottery Barn.  I don’t always love the prices.  While flipping through the recent catalog I saw this rustic wood wall art.  A whooping $399.00!  Knowing I have a pile of scrap wood in the garage, I just about did the happy dance at the project I knew I was going to tackle.  I love power tools.  I love wood!
I bought a 2x 4 foot piece of plywood, a few extra pieces of wood, a couple of sample size paint jars, and some tacks.  It only cost around $40.00!  Everything else I had… a lot of wood pieces, glue and leftover paint.  Most of the wood I used is considered “craft” wood.  It comes in short lengths and is thinner than regular wood.  I did combine it with “regular” wood though.  It gives the piece some dimension.
Pottery Barn $399.00.   Laurie $40.00!
Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art


The design was not planned.  I cut each piece as I went along.  HINT:  When you have the layout you want, take a picture of it.  Just in case you mess up the design later on while you are painting the wood pieces.  You don’t want to spend HOURS and HOURS trying to put the thing back together, only to remember you DO have a picture you could have looked at.  By that point, bad words may have been said, drinks may have been drunk, and your family may be afraid to be in the same room as you.  Just saying it could happen. ;) 


Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art

The next step was paint.


Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art



I applied the paint with a cut up old t-shirt.  That way I could rub the paint on like a stain allowing the wood grain to show through.


Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art

Each piece was glued down to a 2 x 4 sheet of plywood board with Tite Bond Wood Glue.  Blue tape is always handy for extra support.


Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art


The Vodka is for weight, not for drinking. At least not in that moment anyway. After all the pieces were glued down, I distressed each piece with sand paper to lighten the paint colors and to give it a worn out look.

Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art



I found these tacks at Lowes.





I lightly sanded the tack heads so they looked distress as well.
I’m not sure where I’m going to hang it yet.  I may add some trim around the edges.  This was a FUN project.  Although I used a power saw to cut the pieces, it can be done with a simple miter box.
This Pottery Barn knock-off project was a great way to use up most of the scrap pieces of wood I had accumulated.  And my garage is a little bit cleaner now! :)

Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art


Pottery Barn Knock-Off Wall Art



No comments:

Post a Comment