Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Dining Room Remodel






Last week I wrote about my dining room remodel and shared with you the how I reworked the chandelier and hutch. Today I wanted to finish sharing some of my great finds! 

I have had this mirror for years, originally getting it from Michael's. I picked out the frame and had it hung on the diagonal just to be different. Not wanting to get rid of it, but so past the gold frame, I decided to paint it the same hammered metal color as the sewing table bases.

The wall color was a combination of different things. I painted over the old green walls with a dark chocolate color that was in the fabric I found. Once I put it on the walls I knew it was too dark and flat and did not have the look I was going for. I found a Valspar Translucent Iridescent Glaze on sale at Lowes for under $6.00 and thought why not. Adding a hint of a taupe color (the one used on the back of the hutch) to the glaze I found a great combination to add to the chocolate walls. Using and old natural sponge and a stipple brush I had in my paint supplies I applied the glaze with the sponge and quickly went over it with the stipple brush to soften it out. Pictures do not do it justice, when you walk into the room the walls shimmer in the light.



Loving the new color of the mirror and how it works with the paint on the walls. I found this file old filing cabinet on one of my Metrolina Antique mall shopping trips. It is from a county court house in Ohio circa 1870. I will admit I did something I normally would not do and splurged on this piece but it was well worth it!



On another Metrolina Antique shopping trip I ran across some old machine part molds and a wooden spoon set. I spent $10.00 on the spoon set and $5.00 on the molds. I knew both would become wall art but was not sure where or how. After some thought I came up with this idea. I bought 2 framed canvases from Michaels for $5.00 and glued some burlap to the frame that I had left over from another project. I attached those to the walls and punched nails through the canvas to place the spoons and molds on. I placed these on either side of the courthouse piece and I am please with how they turned out. Original one of a kind wall art for $10.00 a piece.


At the end of the remodel I spent $20.00 on art for the walls, around $125.00 for all the paint, $25.00 for the hutch, $36.00 for the new chandelier, $45.00 for fabric to cover the chairs and create curtains. I did buy a new rug for $99.00 and traded a old side table for an new side table with my friend Laurie, re-purposed my chairs, old glass table top and old sewing bases. My one splurge cost me $600.00 for the old courthouse cabinet, I do love that piece though! Without that cost I remodeled the whole room with a dramatic new look for under $400.00, not bad considering I have a new dining room table, chairs, china cabinet, side table, wall art, curtains, chandelier and more!

1 comment: