Thursday, March 14, 2013

DIY Painted Curtains

I'm still on my quest to remodel rooms one by one. Currently I am changing my Kitchen and Breakfast area. I decided that I wanted to get rid of the table and chairs in our bay window/breakfast area and turn it into a cozy room to have coffee and read the paper. The curtains in the bay window had been purchased at Target several months ago just to have something on the windows. Since I was not sure at the time how the room would evolve I bought very cheap ($10-15 a panel) off white curtains that would go with anything. Once I got all the furniture in the area the way I wanted the curtains just were not doing it for me anymore. I could not find any fabric that I really liked and did not want to spend more money on ready made curtains, so I go the brilliant idea to paint the curtains I had.

The curtain panels before.




  The curtain panels after.













             

I went to the craft store and bought some acrylic paint in red, yellow, black and cream. I ran across some foam stamps that I had bought years ago and thought the patterns would work well for my cozy room. I played with colors and stamps on some drawing paper to give me some ideas of what I thought may work before putting anything on the actual curtains. Once I felt ready to start I laid out a large cutting board on a flat surface, mixed the paint on some plastic plates and started applying paint to the stamps and started the pattern.


My husband thought I have bought big jars of Ketchup and Mustard!


 Everything ready to go, the first stamps went on well.



Make sure you cover the stamp with paint, I used a small artist brush to apply the paint. Be careful not to get the paint in the creases or it will show when you press down.



Apply a little pressure, not too hard, and carefully lift the stamp off the fabric.



Success! Continue until you have the pattern, and colors you are looking for. Let the curtains dry before hanging them back up. The acrylic paint does not take long to dry. I was able to finish and hang 5 panels in just a few hours. The paint cost about $5.00 a jar. I love how they turned out and now I have original curtains for around $20.00.


No comments:

Post a Comment